Tuesday, November 19, 2013



Spring Awakening pushes the actor to understand more of his or her own sexuality. I don’t mean that in the sense of, “What is my sexual orientation? Do I want to have sex? How many people want me because of my body?” This show explores the beauty in understanding your body. It’s about understanding and accepting oneself. It’s about being comfortable in the skin you are given. And Spring Awakening has helped me grow in being confident in my own skin and body.

My character, Hanschen, uses language as a device for seduction. He is incredibly articulate and loves playing with words in order to get what he wants.

It has been stunning to watch the beautiful vulnerability everybody puts on the stage, but it was difficult for me to reach this point when it came to me in my role. Hanschen kisses another character, and I was nervous about what others would think and how others would react and judge my vulnerability. Yet Stafford and the cast have been nothing but supportive. It’s a blessing to be working with all of these fantastic performers and directors who are pushing for growth.
 

 Roberto Aguilar (Hanschen)




My favorite scene is the one in which Hanschen woos my character Ernst and they kiss. I've never kissed another guy before, and I was quite nervous at first. After working with both Stafford and Roberto I became much more comfortable with the idea. The rawness of the scene is very truthful and real. It's different, it's exciting, and quite beautiful.

I've had many of my own awakenings throughout the rehearsal process. I never knew I could sing or dance the way I do. I've found parallels with myself and my character (and other characters in the show) and in those parallels I'm learning more about myself.


Spring Awakening is the kind of show that makes me want to do theater for the rest of my life. 

JT Bernhardt (Ernst)

                                     

                                                                                               
        

No comments:

Post a Comment