Thursday, November 7, 2013


The graphic nature of some of the Spring Awakening scenes make the show all the more raw and honest to me. Often we hide what is not "pretty" or what is fearful, wrong, sad or hurtful.

The wonderful thing about this show and about Stafford's directing is that it conceals none of that. The audience sees the naked truth of these characters’ lives--their fears, triumphs and failures.

The graphic scenes are initially difficult to portray with such truthfulness, but once we do, it is amazing to experience it all—to shout it out and not hide from it.

"Totally Fucked" is a killer dance number. It's high energy and takes a lot of effort, but it is one of the most fun numbers to dance in. Also, my character Ilse's first scene with Moritz is crazy because Ilse is such a free spirit that she sort of throws herself all over the stage, painting the whole canvas.

Teryn Gray (Ilse) 









Spring Awakening definitely brings me to a place where I can express the things I have always wanted to say out loud. The anger towards authority figures for keeping us in boxes and the joy when love really has no boundaries are just a couple of the things that I don't have the chance to vocalize in public and I am glad I get to do that here. While singing in Spring Awakening I feel like I am finally freeing something that has been locked inside me.

Many of the characters feel a sense of hopelessness and I cannot help but empathize with their stories. For some of them, there is still that silver lining to look forward to and that is what has been driving me to push through when even my life becomes difficult. It truly is the support of good friends and family that motivates me each and every day.

Gino Lucas (Otto) 












The movements of my body in Spring Awakening tell the story of a young girl going through adolescence and developing into a young woman despite the hardships she has to overcome. I have been able to challenge myself physically as well as emotionally through the dance moves.

The cast and I have gotten so close that at times, we forget we are playing characters on stage. It’s felt like we were going through adolescence all over again together in the form of our roles. During the more difficult scenes, we have found comfort and solace with one another.

Spring Awakening has truly touched me in ways I never thought possible and it reminds me of why I fell in love with theater in the first place.

I am forever changed by this experience. Bringing this show to life reminds us all of what matters the most: love, forgiveness and moving forward. 

Krizzia Manlangit (Martha) 



No comments:

Post a Comment