Saturday, November 9, 2013



Skylar and I have been playing with laughter and the imagery of birds of prey for our scene in Act II just before the "Totally Fucked" number.

The challenge has been finding comedy in my adult character--trying to make her real and human to provoke some laughter while still maintaining the tragic truth of the situation, of suffering from repression.

The image we painted is of two big birds ripping into their prey--interesting because it is funny yet horrible at the same time since we could be screwing up this kid's life.


Anna Kritikos (Fraulein Knuppeldick Fraulein Grossebustenhalter Ensemble)





I love to dance as we do in the show--all the time!

The "Totally Fucked" scene is my favorite because it is a moment of explosive rebellion against all the oppression these children have faced.

"The Song of Purple Summer" really touches me. It expresses the hope that this show ends with, after all of the personal struggles the characters have gone through.

I feel like Spring Awakening carries the message that even the darkest situations won't last forever.


Mark Merman (Ulbrecht 
Herr Rillow 
Ensemble)



  


The choreography in "Totally Fucked" isn't as uptight as normal ballet which I have been doing since the age of three.

I can just be free and enjoy the more contemporary movement while dancing in Spring Awakening. This can be challenging, however, because it involves constant high energy and jumping, which made my calves sore our first day.

Chris' choreography is definitely different to anything I have ever done before. However, I really enjoy his style and how I can let my body flow with the movement rather than constraining myself.

The overall process has been amazing. Working with Stafford has been a wonderful experience. He is very kind and explains things in a way that makes so much sense, you can really understand what he is trying to get out of you.

Jen Beall (Ensemble)

No comments:

Post a Comment