Friday, November 15, 2013

I love how “Word of My Body" expresses the pain that is so often inherent in desire; how these two emotions in many cases are inseparable.

Anyone, young or old, who has ever been consumed by a lust that they knew was either ill-fated or unrequited, will be moved by this song. (I personally know nothing about this!)

Spring Awakening has been an interesting ride. This is the first time I have been in a play in a few years, and I find myself now in the role of "Mother," and a repressive mother to boot. I myself am not generally a repressive type so finding the truth in this character has taken a little digging.

Being slightly older that most of the cast has forced me to remember that people are people no matter what age. It was my instinct to take space, act as a teacher and keep a division between myself and this young cast.

But as the time progresses and I hear their stories, I am reminded again, that we are all just human and that I have so much to learn from them!

Joyful Simpson (Frau Bergman
Frau Gabor, Frau Bessel, Ensemble) 
 


I never thought I had it in me to SING ROCK MUSIC! I'm a classically-trained opera singer for crying out loud. I go straight for arias like "Nessun Dorma" and "La Donna E Mobile." Spring Awakening's technique and style are so different from what I'm used to. The music brings out a different energy in me that I've never felt before. And I like it.

My favorite song is "Left Behind" during the funeral scene. My character thinks of his past as he mourns and wonders if he can ever forgive himself for what he's done (avoiding spoilers). I know this feeling. Thinking of my past, I always dismissed and forgave anything mean or malicious that someone said to me. During the funeral scene, when my character wants nothing more than redemption, it hit me in full flux that I was always the forgiving type. I guess this has been so much a part of me that I never realized it before.

Jonathan Conklin (Herr Gabor
Herr Stiefel)









I am having a very strong reaction to Spring Awakening. I have found myself being vulnerable more often than not. 

Sometimes I have felt I even need to close myself off from the cast, just because something inside of me is stirring up a crazy whirlwind of emotions. I can't pinpoint the reason; I only know that it started during this show. It must be because Spring Awakening brings me back to when I was younger, feeling left out of situations and wanting friends.

I have to keep reminding myself of where I am today, and how far I've come. I don't have to feel that way anymore.

During “Left Behind” in the funeral scene I am most emotional. It can get hard to sing with tears rising in your throat. It helps that everyone around me is completely invested as well. It's a really beautiful song.

Annie Dick (Schmidt
Ensemble)


No comments:

Post a Comment