Thursday, November 14, 2013


I find the graphic nature of the show to be refreshing; these things happen in life off stage, why not put them on stage? In fact, the argument of the show can be said to be that of breaking our boundaries—in what way could this be better accomplished than by putting our culturally-created fears in front of our eyes for examination?

My favorite scene is set in the reformatory late in Act II. It is an incredibly difficult scene to stage effectively, and I feel that Stafford and the boys have done a magnificent job tastefully navigating subject matter that could easily go wrong.

Of all the songs, "The Mirror-Blue Night" speaks the most to me—it examines the doubt, the fears, and the anxiety of being on the cusp of making major decisions; the final moment before the storm of reality comes.

Spring Awakening has taught me that all people have something to protect: some of us have radical notions about how society should operate that are a hundred years ahead of our time, other characters strive to protect the institutions they and their ancestors have built in the name of progress from barbarism.

Skylar Collins (Herr Sonnenstich
Headmaster Knochenbruch
Doctor Von Brausepulver
Father Kaulbach, Ensemble)



I had no idea that I would feel so many emotions and really understand the characters in Spring Awakening as I do. At a young age the kids learn about grief and how to go on after a loved one's life has been taken away. This is something that I, too, had to learn very early on.

All of the scenes and emotions in Spring Awakening are completely real and honest. Everything that happens in life is shown on stage, ranging from a first kiss to a suicide. Going through these scenes can be difficult, but the cast has become my family and we are all here for each other.

One of the most challenging and rewarding aspects of the show has been trying to get my message across without words. I don't have any speaking lines, but with my movements and singing I have pushed myself to really open up to the audience without actually saying anything.

I am absolutely loving my journey in Spring Awakening and I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Sara Weiner (Ensemble)




My favorite scene is when Melchior and Wendla meet in the woods for a second time. The manipulative tactics Wendla employs to get the physical pain she craves is fascinating to watch, and seeing Jess Walsh go through these tactics is fascinating. The evolutions of both Wendla and Melchior in such a short scene are very exciting to witness.

Initially, the songs are very upbeat. As Moritz slips further into confusion and mental instability over his own sexual frustrations, the songs become darker and allow the narrative to travel further into the depths of emotional turmoil and inner conflict.

The songs after this shift allow Spring Awakening to achieve more than a shallow story about horny, angsty teenagers. The lyrics paint a picture about the confusion and the terrifying nature of experiencing our own awakenings in life. However, as we see in “The Song of Purple Summer,” the outcomes of these awakenings are beautiful; no matter what the consequences of your immediate actions, the earth will continue to rotate and life will go on.

Jason Moscato (Rupert 
Ensemble)

No comments:

Post a Comment