Monday, November 11, 2013


I have a very strong connection to the cerebral operator that my character Melchior is at the beginning of our story; my real challenge begins when his body awakens. When he begins to experience what it is to feel, not just conceptualize or define.

Once Melchior allows his mind to rest and his heart to lead him, he begins to see how life is a continuum of endless possibilities, always developing, always growing, always changing.
I've learned that I'm not getting any younger; thus I will eat as many chocolate covered strawberries as I deem fit so long as Jonathan continues to bring them to rehearsal. I just have to make sure I go to the gym three times as long as usual ... which might introduce a small hiccup into my schedule since this would mean I actually have to go to the gym in the first place.

Elio Gutierrez (Melchior)











The Spring Awakening music brings out a whole spectrum of emotions from angst in "Mama Who Bore Me (Reprise)" to curiosity in "Word of Your Body." I appreciate this variety because any song can relate to how you're feeling that day.

"Totally Fucked" is my favorite song because it has so much energy and excitement. It's a really great relief to the emotional roller-coaster that goes on within the show and allows us to let out steam.

I have rediscovered my absolute obsession with the theater. Being a full-time student has made me put performing on the back burner and this experience has opened my understanding that life isn't as rich without doing what you love.

My character Wendla's intimate scene with Melchior and the opening scene in "Mama Who Bore Me" have been the most challenging to me as I have to be really vulnerable and open in expressing Wendla's repressed sexuality.

This show is an important and relevant story that is timeless. We have worked so hard putting in our honest feelings and personal experiences; I will remember this adventure for the rest of my life.

Jessica Walsh (Wendla)


A lot of the Spring Awakening music and choreography are really sensual and romantic. I think the songs that best capture this are "Touch Me" and "The Word of Your Body."

My favorite choreography is in "The Bitch of Living"; we dance around with chairs and it's really exciting. Also, thechoreography for "All That's Known" is cool because it is so slow and precise.

This show has forced me to push my singing range; some of the notes the guys sing are really high! 

"And Then There Were None" really resonates with me because I know the feeling of wanting to give up and wanting to run away. I also really like "The Song of Purple Summer" which reminds me that growing up is a good thing. It makes me feel hopeful for the future and helps me view life from a more positive perspective.

Matt Skinner (Dieter 
Ensemble)

No comments:

Post a Comment